Where to Go in Allentown to Replace a Faulty Spark Plug in Your Miniby schearerswpadmin May 7, 2022
A faulty spark plug in a car is quite a common issue. A Mini Cooper is a sporty vehicle with great versatility, but a faulty spark plug will take all that away and could leave drivers stranded. A faulty spark plug can cause trouble with ignition but the solution to the problem is quite simple.
Warning Signs of Spark Plug Failure
Let’s take a run-through of the indications of faulty spark plugs:
- Problems with acceleration: When a spark plug starts to go bad, it doesn’t assist in ignition as designed. A faulty spark plug will become easily noticeable as the car will have issues accelerating properly.
- Troubles igniting the engine: A car that has troubles starting could be as a result of an old spark plug. This problem can affect the battery life of your Mini and also the ignition.
- Misfiring engine: This is usually a problem while the car is idling or accelerating. If you notice that your Mini is misfiring at these moments, you have to inspect your spark plug as it could be a result of a failure of the fuel ignition, which is enabled by the spark plug. This can lead to irreparable problems with your engine.
- Engine light indicator: If your Mini’s dashboard engine light is on, it could signify several problems but could also mean that your spark plug is faulty.
- Rough idling: If your Mini exhibits a certain unusual vibration while idle, it could mean that there is a spark plug issue as there will be uncombusted fuel in the engine leading to a jerky idle.
Negative Effects of a Faulty Spark Plug
When a spark plug fails, it can have several lasting negative effects on your Mini. They may include:
- Engine Problems: The normal indications of a failing spark plug will worsen over time and can lead to engine damage, ignition damage if left unchecked for too long.
- Poor Fuel Mileage: A failing spark plug will lead to drastic fuel consumption which also affects your money.
- No-Start Condition: Eventually, your spark plugs will wear out and your engine will not start, leaving you stranded where it sits.
Causes of Spark Plug Failure
Now that we’ve covered the importance of a spark plug in your Mini, it is ideal we know factors that cause spark plugs to break down:
- Overheating: Overheating of the tip of the spark plug due to a faulty cooling system or pre-ignition will likely cause corrosion of the spark plug. In a case like this, a quick stop at your auto repair shop will be of great benefit.
- Carbon buildup: Factors such as a dirty air filter and too many low-speed drives can cause a buildup of carbon on the top of your spark plug. You may be tempted to clean it yourself, but it’s better to be safe than sorry and allow our professionals to replace the spark plugs for you.
- Incorrect spark plug gap: A poor calibration of the plug’s center and side electrodes will affect the engine performance and also cause a strain on the plug causing it to corrode faster.
As obvious from the list above, natural wear and tear of the spark plug is part of its life cycle. Replacing spark plugs is relatively inexpensive and can be performed quickly. Having a Mini professional perform the task is always the best option to prevent any form of irreparable damage to your Mini’s electrical system. Schearer’s Sales and Services is the company for you to make sure your Mini’s spark plug issues are properly fixed.
Schearer’s Sales and Service for Your Mini
With more than 26 years of experience, Schearer’s Sales and Service, Inc., brings you high-quality maintenance/servicing for your cars, especially your Mini. We provide you with impeccable and error-free services with the goal of gaining your loyalty.
We serve customers in Allentown, Bethlehem, and Macungie, PA. We provide you with experienced and certified mechanics to ensure you get the best services in town. We help not just your faulty spark plug, but also with PA Safety and Emission Inspections, engine diagnostics, oil change maintenance, factory-recommended maintenance, tire replacement, and much more. Call us at (610) 395-2514. Our staff is ready to answer all your questions and help you book your appointment.