What is Active Protection in Your BMW?by schearerswpadmin June 8, 2022
BMW is one of the founding fathers of modern luxury vehicles, and the company has strived to make its models safer by consistently increasing its safety features. They developed an active protection system to improve vehicle safety while driving. This system, also called the active safety system, is created by many advanced technologies and safety features that help relieve critical driving situations and prevent accidents by actively intervening.
How BWM Protects You
BMW takes vehicle safety very seriously and ensures its drivers and passengers are well protected by including the following safety features:
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS): The anti-lock braking system prevents your wheels from locking up during emergencies by restoring traction to the tires, allowing you to steer your BMW safely. Anti-lock braking systems and airbags were the foremost safety systems vehicles had.
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC): This system prevents loss of control during hard steering and emergency steering maneuvers by automatically stabilizing the vehicle when it begins to veer off the intended path. The system was introduced in 1992 and was used in most BMW models except the E30 and E36.
- Lane Departure Warning: The system uses a camera to detect lane markers and alerts the driver when a tire touches a lane marker. Lane departure warning is an integral part of the active protection system. When your BMW is drifting off its lane, you will be alerted by vibrations in the steering wheel to go back to your lane.
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC): The dynamic stability control is a part of the active protection system of your BMW that becomes activated when you are driving under unfavorable conditions. The DSC system uses your BMW’s engine and braking system to evaluate, regulate, and stabilize its movement. The DSC also performs other features, including brake drying and hill-start assistant.
- Light City Braking: Light city braking is another part of the active protection system in your BMW. The light city brake helps the driver to avoid hitting pedestrians. Once you start driving at 60km/hr, the light city braking becomes activated and reduces collision speed. Your BMW’s light city braking system is activated to minimize casualty risk when an emergency occurs.
- Adaptive Headlights: Unlike traditional headlights, adaptive headlights utilize electronic sensors to detect the driver’s steering angle and emit more light, increasing visibility. Adaptive headlights provide the required illumination for your BMW when driving in the dark.
- Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA): The intelligent speed assistance system or intelligent speed adaptation is a part of your BMW’s active protection system that helps regulate the vehicle speed. The system’s primary aim is to assist the driver in maintaining a safe speed. It uses data about the road, including the speed limit, to determine the required speed and alert the driver to adjust accordingly or automatically reduce the speed.
- Drowsiness and Attention Detection Systems: There have been several stories about drivers falling asleep as they drive, leading to so many unwanted accidents, which is why your BMW’s drowsiness and attention detection systems are very important. When you are driving, the drowsiness and attention detection systems evaluate the amount of time you have been driving, and it warns you to take a break to prevent accidents. The system can detect your tiredness by evaluating how the steering wheel is being operated.
You Can Put Your Trust in Us at Schearer’s Sales and Service
If your BMW is experiencing any problem with its active protection system, and you live around Allentown, Bethlehem, and Macungie, PA, visit Schearer’s Sales and Service, Inc.! We are an expert auto repair center with a passion for repairing and maintaining European cars!
At Schearer’s Sales and Service, Inc., we understand that every vehicle has unique service and maintenance needs, and our experts have years of experience working on BMWs. Whether major or minor repairs, our technicians have the tools to handle them in-house and are familiar with most European vehicles, including Audi, Jaguar, Landrover, Mercedes, Mini, and BMWs.
We support all our repairs with a 24-month/24,000 miles warranty. Please call or visit our shop to book an appointment with one of our experts. We look forward to winning your repeat business!
* BMW Car image credit goes to: Neydtstock.