The Impacts of Corrosive Battery Terminals on Your Subaruby schearerswpadmin June 28, 2023
Subaru cars and crossovers are well known for their reliability and durability. Unfortunately, however, like any car they can develop issues. One of the most concerning being corrosive battery terminals. Let’s explore their effects on your Subaru, along with the risks associated with them and some effective solutions to rectify or prevent further damage.
Battery terminal corrosion occurs due to rust and chemical deposits accumulating on them due to exposure to moisture, extreme temperatures, or acid leakage from battery cells in your Subaru car or SUV. As corrosion impedes electricity flow it has the potential to reduce performance of its electrical system and ultimately limit performance overall.
Risks Associated with Corrosive Battery Terminals
Here are some of the primary risks associated with corrosive battery terminals in a Subaru:
- Poor Electrical Connection: When battery terminals become corroded, the flow of electricity between your Subaru’s battery and other electrical components becomes impaired, potentially leading to starting issues, intermittent power problems, or complete electrical system failure. This can leave you stranded and needing costly repairs.
- Corrosion on Battery Terminals Affecting Lifespan: Corrosion can increase electrical resistance, making charging harder for your Subaru battery and shortening its lifespan significantly. This necessitates more frequent replacements with additional expenses for Subaru owners.
- Damage to Electrical Components: Corrosive substances found on battery terminals can extend beyond their confines and affect nearby electrical components like wiring harnesses and connectors, leading to malfunctioning lights, sensors malfunctioning, engine control unit (ECU) damage, and costly repairs or replacements.
Benefits of Addressing Subaru’s Corrosive Battery Terminals
Addressing corrosive battery terminals in your Subaru is highly beneficial. Here are some of the most notable advantages:
- Increased Electrical Performance: By regularly maintaining and cleaning battery terminals, you ensure optimal electrical conductivity. This provides reliable starting, consistent power delivery, and overall improved performance of your Subaru’s electrical system.
- Extending Battery Life: By taking preventive steps such as using anti-corrosion sprays or terminal protectors, you can significantly lower the risk of corrosion on battery terminals and thus extend their lifespan. This will also decrease their replacement frequency while saving both time and money over time.
- Reduced Risk of Electrical Faults: Maintaining a Subaru electrical system properly reduces the likelihood of sudden electrical faults while driving, providing greater peace of mind while on your journeys and guaranteeing an uninterrupted experience with your Subaru.
How to Maintain Your Subaru’s Battery Health
Here are some practical tips for maintaining your Subaru’s battery health to avoid the complications of corrosive battery terminals in the future:
- Maintenance and Cleaning: For optimal battery terminal health, it is vital that they be regularly inspected for signs of corrosion. If any buildup occurs, disconnect your battery carefully and use a wire brush or terminal cleaner to safely and thoroughly remove it. Once clean, reconnect securely so as to maintain an uninterrupted electrical connection.
- Protective Measures: To guard against future corrosion, try using terminal protector spray or felt washers soaked in corrosion-inhibiting fluid as preventive measures. These protective measures create a barrier between terminals and external elements, decreasing risk of corrosion while improving long-term battery terminal health.
- Professional Assistance: If you feel intimidated or uncertain in handling battery terminals yourself, professional help should always be sought. Auto service technicians possess both expertise and the appropriate tools necessary for effectively cleaning and maintaining your terminals to produce optimal results and reduce accidental damage risk.
Resolve Subaru Battery Issues at Schearer’s Sales and Service, Inc.
Corroded battery terminals can have a profound effect on your Subaru’s electrical system and compromise its integrity, leading to potential catastrophic consequences.
Maintaining optimal performance, battery life, and overall reliability requires understanding the risks involved and taking proactive steps to address and prevent corrosion. To enjoy all the exceptional qualities of your Subaru electrical system, regular maintenance such as cleaning and protective measures along with professional assistance are necessary.
At Schearer’s Sales and Service, Inc., we have years of experience inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing common Subaru issues like these. If you suspect your battery terminals are corroded, contact us to schedule an appointment.
We’re passionate about helping residents of Allentown, Bethlehem, and Macungie, PA make the most of their Subarus. Give us a call today to experience the difference and start taking full advantage of your car or SUV!