Get Better Mileage From Your Subaru by Avoiding These Thingsby schearerswpadmin October 8, 2023
Subaru vehicles, renowned for their reliability and robust boxer engines, are a popular choice among those who prefer a balanced mix of performance and efficiency. However, the way we drive and maintain our Subarus can directly impact their fuel efficiency. Here’s a list of things to avoid if you want to get better mileage from your Subaru.
- Heavy Foot on the Gas: Rapid acceleration not only strains the engine but also burns more fuel. Instead, practice smooth and gradual acceleration. By being gentle on the gas, you can significantly improve your fuel economy.
- Braking Hard and Frequently: Constantly braking hard, especially when it’s unnecessary, means you’re using more fuel to get back up to speed. Try to anticipate traffic movements, maintain a consistent speed, and brake gently when possible.
- Ignoring Tire Maintenance: Under-inflated tires increase rolling resistance, making your engine work harder. Ensure that your tires are inflated to the recommended PSI. Also, regularly rotating and balancing your tires will help in achieving even wear, which can assist in maintaining good fuel efficiency.
- Using Lower Octane Fuel: While it might be tempting to save a few cents at the pump, using a lower octane fuel than recommended can lead to sub-optimal performance and decreased fuel efficiency. Always use the octane level specified in your Subaru’s manual.
- Carrying Unnecessary Weight: Do you have a habit of storing extra items in your trunk or back seat? The additional weight can affect fuel efficiency. Removing unnecessary items, especially heavy ones, can lead to better mileage.
- Roof Racks and Carriers: While Subaru vehicles often sport roof racks for outdoor activities, driving with empty roof racks or carriers increases drag and decreases fuel efficiency. Remove them when not in use or opt for aerodynamically designed carriers.
- Ignoring Regular Maintenance: A well-maintained engine runs more efficiently than a neglected one. Regular oil changes, air filter replacements, and keeping your Subaru’s engine tuned will ensure optimal performance and better fuel economy.
- Driving on Rough Terrain: Subaru vehicles are built for adventure, but constantly driving on rough or unpaved roads can decrease fuel efficiency. When possible, stick to paved roads.
- Using the Air Conditioning Constantly: Running the air conditioner requires energy and can decrease your Subaru’s fuel efficiency. While comfort is essential, consider using the A/C sparingly or utilizing the vehicle’s ventilation system on cooler days.
- Ignoring the ‘Check Engine’ Light: If your ‘check engine’ light illuminates, it may indicate a problem that’s affecting your fuel efficiency. Instead of ignoring it, get your Subaru checked out immediately.
- Not Using Cruise Control: On long highway drives, cruise control can help maintain a consistent speed, reducing the need for constant acceleration and deceleration. This can lead to better mileage.
- Idling for Extended Periods: Whether you’re waiting for someone or just warming up your car, idling for long periods consumes fuel. If you’re going to be stationary for more than a couple of minutes, consider turning off your engine.
- Using Non-Genuine Parts: Always use genuine Subaru parts or their recommended equivalents. Off-brand or incompatible parts might not function as efficiently and could lead to decreased performance and fuel economy.
- Driving in Stop-and-Go Traffic: Constant stopping and starting in traffic jams can be a drain on fuel. While sometimes unavoidable, consider adjusting your driving hours, using alternate routes, or carpooling to reduce time spent in traffic.
- Not Checking the Gas Cap: A loose or damaged gas cap can lead to fuel evaporation. Make sure it’s securely fastened and replace it if it’s damaged.
Optimizing Fuel Efficiency With Your Subaru
While Subaru vehicles are designed for versatility and performance, optimizing fuel efficiency requires a combination of regular maintenance and mindful driving habits. By avoiding the aforementioned pitfalls, Subaru owners can enjoy better mileage, reduced fuel costs, and a longer vehicle lifespan.
Book An Appointment With Schearer’s Sales And Service Today
At Schearer’s Sales and Service, located in the heart of Allentown, PA, we pride ourselves on being the go-to experts for all things Subaru maintenance. With a commitment to excellence and an unwavering focus on customer satisfaction, we ensure that your Subaru is treated with the utmost care and precision.
Residents of Bethlehem, Macungie, and the neighboring communities can also avail of our top-notch services. Don’t let car troubles keep you off the road; book an appointment with us today and let our skilled technicians ensure your Subaru runs smoothly and efficiently for the journeys ahead.
* Subaru Car image credit goes to: kurmyshov.